If you’ve ever cooked with fresh herbs, you know that they make a world of difference in the flavor of your dish. Luckily, herbs are very easy to grow right on your windowsill at 380 Harding Apartments! Here are 5 must-have herbs that will add depth and complexity to pastas, meats, salads or even beverags.
- Chives. Even if you don’t have much light in your kitchen, chives are sure to thrive. These mild, onion-like herbs are a great substitute for onions in a dish, and they’re easy to grow from an already-established plant from your local nursery.
- Mint. For everything from fruit salads to summer cocktails, mint is a wonderful addition. This hearty herb grows very quickly and heartily, and it also gives off a wonderfully fresh scent in your kitchen.
- Oregano. For kitchens with bright sunlight, oregano is a must-have herb. This rich herb is perfectly paired with Italian dishes.
- Basil. While basil isn’t the easiest herb to grow indoors, it is very worthwhile in dishes like pizzas, pastas and salad dressings. Just keep a careful eye on it in the wintertime.
- Rosemary. If you’re a forgetful plant-owner, rosemary is the perfect herb for you. Because this one prefers to stay dry, it only needs minimal watering. It’s also perfect to add to chicken or fish dishes.